Pages

Monday 15 April 2013

Structures with a present tense to talk about the future

There are quite a few structures in English that require a present tense although they refer to the future. Let's take a look at a few examples:

If                                                     early, I'll give you a call.
Unless                                              early I won't be able to meet you.
In case                                             early I'll book the restaurant.
As long as                                          early I'll see you tonight.
When         the meeting finishes     I'll text you.
Until                                                 I won't be able to contact you.
After                                                I'll come round.
Before                                             I'll tell you what time I could meet.
As soon as                                       I'll drop by the pub.


Let's practise with a listening activity. 

You are going to listen to a man talking to a group of people about something they are going to do the next day. Fill in the gaps while you listen:



 


1. We're going .............. the weather gets much worse.
2. .................. that it doesn't rain too heavily tonight, I'll see you back here at 6 o'clock.
3. We won't reach the top of the mountain ................. we set out early.
4. You need a whistle ...................... you get separated from the rest of the group.
5. ................... you didn't bring large cameras.
6. ................... we all stay together, we'll have a great time.
7. I .................. you'd come a few weeks ago.
8. .................. we had dinner now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy and share your ideas!